Amazon re:Invent was held last week in Las Vegas. We saw a lot of exciting announcements, some expected and some more surprising. Amazon has the major launches detailed here:
For our campus usage, I’m most excited about these:
- Fargate – makes containers easier than ever before.
- ECS for Kubernetes – allows container management with Kubernetes, which may be how you’re already doing it.
- Hibernation for Spot Instances – don’t lose your work if you get outbid.
- New Spot Pricing Model – smooths out spot market pricing to avoid sudden surprises.
- Aurora Serverless – auto-scale database capacity, even down to zero (with a quick scale-up when you need it again)
- DynamoDB Backups – I can get rid of the scripts I wrote to back up DynamoDB; they don’t work as well as the new service.
- Comprehend – process spoken language.
- Translate – translate between spoken languages.
- SageMaker – machine learning made easy.
- Inter-Region VPC Peering – we’re evaluating how we can make the UOFI Active Directory available in regions outside us-east-2.
- PrivateLink – access private services without advanced VPC configuration.
- GuardDuty – use AWS’ behind-the-scenes machine learning to alert on unexpected behavior within your account.
In just under two weeks Amazon Web Service’s annual re:Invent conference will kick off in Las Vegas. During the week-long conference, there will be three separate keynote events where Andy Jassy, Werner Vogels, and Peter Desantis will be sharing new services, roadmaps, and vision of where AWS will be going over the next year.
This year the keynote events will be live streamed and you can watch live from your office/home/phone while these announcements are made. AWS has published a website to register for watching the live stream, and it includes all the relevant information about when the events are occurring, etc. Please take a moment to check it out and register if you are interested.
Schedule of keynote live streams:
Tuesday Night Live with Peter DeSantis, VP, AWS Global Infrastructure
Tuesday, Nov. 28 |8:00 PM – 9:30 PM PT
Keynote featuring Andy Jassy, CEO, Amazon Web Services
Wednesday, Nov. 29 | 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT
Keynote featuring Werner Vogels, Chief Technology Officer, Amazon.com
Thursday, Nov. 30 | 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM PT
If you cannot view the live stream, the events should be available to view via YouTube or Twitch within the next week.
Yesterday, Amazon announced per-second billing for EC2 and EBS. The new calculation will be used starting October 2. Continue reading