Amazon has announced an augmented reality/virtual reality hackathon with over $100,000 in prizes.Get the full details and sign up at:
The Champaign-Urbana AWS User Group will hold its first meeting this Friday (9/28) at noon at Research Park. Miha Kralj from Accenture will be presenting on cloud platform selection. Full details are available on the event Meetup.
This is a community-hosted event which I hope will be interesting and useful to our adoption of cloud technologies here at the University.
Welcome to the new school year. We’ve scheduled AWS training opportunities through the end of the calendar year:
- Wednesday, September 12: 9:00 – 11:00 am, 28 Illini Hall
- Wednesday, October 10: 2:30 – 4:30 pm, 27 Illini Hall
- Thursday, October 25: 9:00 – 11:00 am, 27 Illini Hall
- Wednesday, November 14: 9:00 – 11:00 am, 27 Illini Hall
These are hands-on labs open to University of Illinois faculty, students, and staff. We have a range of lab topics currently available:
- AWS 101: Putting a web server on the internet
- Relational Database Service: Databases you don’t have to manage
- Identity and Access Management: Safely managing permissions
- S3 and CloudFront: Storing and distributing static web content
- CloudFormation: Automating AWS with infrastructure as code
- Lamba: Using function-as-a-service to process images
- Alces Flight: Building your own personal HPC cluster
- Elastic MapReduce: Getting started with big data in AWS
Participants may select any lab and work at their own pace with guidance from University of Illinois and Amazon staff. Lab computers are provided, but you’re welcome to bring your laptop if you prefer.
Register here to reserve your seat.
Registration is open for the AWS Chicago Summit, which will be held August 1 and 2 at McCormick Place.
Summits are free and include:
- Presentations by Amazon, AWS customers, and partner vendors to help you understand what tools are out there and how they’re being used.
- Workshops which provide guided hands-on experience using AWS products.
- Half-day and full-day bootcamps for certification preparation or deep experience building cutting-edge applications. Note that bootcamps have a registration cost.
I hope we can send plenty of people from the University of Illinois up to Chicago for a day (or two) to take advantage of this opportunity.
AWS Initiate is a free conference in Chicago on the 22nd of this month.
Initiate is an introductory event for anyone interested in learning more about cloud services and practices.If you’re unsure what’s out there and how it could be relevant to your work, Initiate should be a good resource.
Anyone getting started on campus is always welcome to sign up for our hands-on labs or schedule some time with a solutions architect. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.