Join us at noon on January 9, 2020 at EnterpriseWorks for the next Cloud Computing Platform User Group (planning) Meeting.
Happy New Year!
As everyone returns to work and or school from break, we want to take the opportunity to use the normal January meeting slot as an open planning session. We will reflect on the fall meetings and discuss future speakers, topics, and opportunities. If you would like to be more involved in curating and promoting this community, this is the meeting for you!
Join us at noon on December 12, 2019 at EnterpriseWorks for the next Cloud Computing Platform User Group Meeting.
Dave Iffland will present on: Five Failures: Sometimes Things Just Don’t Work Out
Join us at noon on November 14, 2019 at EnterpriseWorks for the next Cloud Computing Platform User Group Meeting.
Paul Thornhill will present on: Working Through a Data Model; A Case Study
Amazon re:Invent was held last week in Las Vegas. We saw a lot of exciting announcements, some expected and some more surprising. Amazon has the major launches detailed here:
For our campus usage, I’m most excited about these:
- Fargate – makes containers easier than ever before.
- ECS for Kubernetes – allows container management with Kubernetes, which may be how you’re already doing it.
- Hibernation for Spot Instances – don’t lose your work if you get outbid.
- New Spot Pricing Model – smooths out spot market pricing to avoid sudden surprises.
- Aurora Serverless – auto-scale database capacity, even down to zero (with a quick scale-up when you need it again)
- DynamoDB Backups – I can get rid of the scripts I wrote to back up DynamoDB; they don’t work as well as the new service.
- Comprehend – process spoken language.
- Translate – translate between spoken languages.
- SageMaker – machine learning made easy.
- Inter-Region VPC Peering – we’re evaluating how we can make the UOFI Active Directory available in regions outside us-east-2.
- PrivateLink – access private services without advanced VPC configuration.
- GuardDuty – use AWS’ behind-the-scenes machine learning to alert on unexpected behavior within your account.
In just under two weeks Amazon Web Service’s annual re:Invent conference will kick off in Las Vegas. During the week-long conference, there will be three separate keynote events where Andy Jassy, Werner Vogels, and Peter Desantis will be sharing new services, roadmaps, and vision of where AWS will be going over the next year.
This year the keynote events will be live streamed and you can watch live from your office/home/phone while these announcements are made. AWS has published a website to register for watching the live stream, and it includes all the relevant information about when the events are occurring, etc. Please take a moment to check it out and register if you are interested.
Schedule of keynote live streams:
Tuesday Night Live with Peter DeSantis, VP, AWS Global Infrastructure
Tuesday, Nov. 28 |8:00 PM – 9:30 PM PT
Keynote featuring Andy Jassy, CEO, Amazon Web Services
Wednesday, Nov. 29 | 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT
Keynote featuring Werner Vogels, Chief Technology Officer, Amazon.com
Thursday, Nov. 30 | 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM PT
If you cannot view the live stream, the events should be available to view via YouTube or Twitch within the next week.